My Experience With Hinduism and Some of Their Gods

Story time!

When I was in my senior year of high school, one of my classes was called World Religions.
Starting with the basics of Christianity and ending with the Japanese religion of Shinto, we covered plenty of different beliefs. At the beginning of the year, we were assigned to visit an assigned religion's place of worship and teach the class about it. 

I was assigned to cover Hinduism with a classmate named Avery. We went with a large group of fellow students since it was easier to get a tour as a group and we weren't the only class doing this. The place was absolutely gorgeous and I understood I couldn't take pictures of the inside, but it still hurt as a photographer to not be able to capture its majesty. 

Hand crafted marble from India!

Now some of the most important Hindu gods are the main three:

Brahma
is the creator

Vishnu
is the sustainer

Shiva
is the destroyer of worlds

Other important gods include:

Ganesha
is the lord of knowledge, success, and wealth

Krishna
is the deity of love and compassion

Rama
is the god of truth and virtue

Lakshmi
is the goddess of wealth and prosperity

Kali
is the goddess of death and a dark goddess

Saraswati
is the goddess of knowledge, arts, and music


After visiting the mandir, I honestly considered following the Hindu religion since I was an atheist at that point, and even told my mother about it. 
She immediately said I wouldn't be able to and I immediately got offended thinking she thought I wasn't serious. 
She actually was talking about the fact they're a vegetarian religion which I completely forgot about. 
It's kinda sad, but it's true. 
It wouldn't have worked. 

However, I still find it to be a beautiful religion and appreciate the experience that came from my class. 
So love you all and adios!
*not my images except first

Comments