St. Patrick's Day

Not only am I part Irish, but Savannah
 (where I go to  school) 
has the second largest parade in the US. 
(Believe me, I've been experiencing the consequential traffic from it...)

Image result for st patricks day
Anyways, so better now then ever to do a post on both the general history of it and some facts. 


1. St. Patrick's Day celebrates the anniversary of said person's death
Image result for st patrick

His death day is also his feast day which is common amongst saints. 

2. Though this holiday does happen during Lent, there is a free pass for this day. 
Image result for st patricks day

I actually didn't know this one, but it makes sense. Meat is allowed even if it is Friday.

3. St. Patrick was NOT born in Ireland!
Image result for ireland

He was kidnapped at age 16 and brought over to Ireland as a slave. He did eventually escape, but later returned.

4. One of his more well known stories is using the shamrock to explain the Trinity
Image result for shamrocks

Another popular story of him is how he drove the snakes out of Ireland. 

5. Ireland has been observing this holiday since the 9th or 10th century
Image result for st patricks day

This is later than I expected since he died around 460.

6. Ireland was actually not the first to celebrate with a parade
Image result for st patrick's day parade

It was actually a number of Irish soldiers serving in the English military that marched through New York City in 1762.



That's all I've got since my laptop is about to die! 
Love you all and adios!
*not my images

Comments